[TR] 4 vs 6 vane water pump impellor

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at TR6.Danielsonfamily.org
Sun May 25 19:04:25 MDT 2014

I recently had a TR6 spare water pump rebuilt by The Flying Dutchman and one
of his options is a 6 vane impellor. I installed the pump last week and had
the upper coolant hose (thermostat to manifold) burst yesterday. Between
then and now, it covered over 250 highway miles with no problems. In
examining the hose I can see where it was full of cracks and check marks so
the failure is probably coincidence. As a result of my problem there's a
discussion in 6-Pack on the advantage/disadvantage of a 6 vane water pump.

One group feels there's less cavitation and more volume pumped through the
system.

Another group feels it pumps the water through the system too fast and the
radiator can't cool it properly so the car runs hotter. Another view was
that with the thermostat closed it could increase the pressure and expose
the hose as a fail point.

All speculation and theory so........ does anyone know the
advantages/disadvantages of 4 vs 6 vane? Rimmer and Racetorations both sell
it as an upgrade to the cooling system

Thanks

Bob

Bob Danielson