[TR] TR6 overheating puzzle

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Thu May 22 13:05:24 MDT 2014

While the Triumph I'm talking about wasn't a TR6, I had a similar problem
with the combi instrument on a '73 2000 saloon. The engine temp and fuel
gauges on the combi clock both gave higher engine temp and lower tank
content readings. Wasn't anything I could find that was amiss on info going
into the instruments but I eventually traced it to a bad earth (ground) on
the instrument stabiliser. Fitted a new one and still the same result. In
the end and more out of desperation than anything else, I fitted a separate
wire from stabiliser to a good earth on the car body. Problem fixed! Gauges
worked fine after that and no more trouble. Might be just that simple?

Jonmac