[TR] TR6 overheating puzzle

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed May 21 18:00:15 MDT 2014

---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard at uprichard.net> wrote:
> Wow - you have done a lot.
>
> I guess I'd want to know if the car really is running hot or not.  How about
> buying or borrowing one of those infrared thermometer guns

If you do, be warned that they can be wildly inaccurate when pointed at aluminum.  Mine will give readings that vary from 140F all the way up to 190F, just moving around to different spots on the aluminum tstat housing.

So 'shoot' one of the hoses or radiator tank instead of the thermostat housing.  They will give you a closer reading (though still not perfectly accurate, as the reading depends on the emissivity of the surface).

Randall