[TR] Spitfire Engine Woes

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri May 16 21:15:00 MDT 2014

Friend in the club says his Spitfire suddenly started running on two cylinders
(ran a short errand, then problem started when he fired it back up), which
would be backed up by by his compression test numbers:

"Cylinder 1 and 2, zero compression.  Cylinders  3 and 4 =  120

No smoke, strange noises, etc.  Plugs 1 and 2 are dry."

The guy, who I don't know very well, but offered to help diagnose, says he
would not know where to start in diagnosing or fixing the issue, but has been
told possible head gasket.

That seems to sort of make sense, but is a blown head gasket likely to give
you zero compression?, would think the starter could spin it fast enough to
build some pressure even if you were getting some blowby with a head gasket
issue?  My thought would be a stuck or broken valve, but would be odd to have
this happen on two cylinders at the same time, same with a broken piston,
broken camshaft? broken crank? broken wouldn't be spinning the pulley if 1 & 2
aren't turning.

My thoughts are to definitely look at the valves with the cover off as the
motor is spun, as well as run another compression test, maybe feel If we are
getting and suction in 1 & 2,  and check the intake and exhaust for anything
that does not look right.

Anyway your thoughts on possible problems as well as some diagnostic tests
(don't have a leak down tester) I could help him with an a casual afternoon in
the garage.

Thanks, Greg Lemon