[TR] Chroming TR4 Tail lights

Dan Cronin adcronin at mi.rr.com
Sat May 3 08:51:03 MDT 2014

It's my understanding that the "metal" is thoroughly cleaned, then given a (or
several) coat of copper which is then worked and re worked if necessary, then
nickel, then chrome.  Recently had saddle bag holders for 1940 Indian 4
chromed that were so pitted and rusted I could not believe they could have
been rescued.  Many coats of copper were applied and worked, etc.
On May 3, 2014, at 10:36 AM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Seems that
> pot metal is not
> a problem for shops that do automotive chroming.

So, what do they do to fill the pits in the pot metal?  Chrome will not fill
pits at all; if you want a shiny result, it has to be
shiny before the chrome is applied.  I've heard horror stories of shops that
just ground/sanded/polished it down; meaning the result
bore little resemblance to the original, especially if there were any small
details originally.