[TR] Aluminum Head Plug

Wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Sun Mar 30 17:16:35 MDT 2014

Have not been through that but maybe a bead of JB Weld around the edge after
to get it in ?

Sent from mobile Bill

On Mar 30, 2014, at 3:22 PM, terryrs at comcast.net wrote:

Hello everyone.  It took some doing, but I managed to tap, drill and pry out
the leaking aluminum plug on top of the TR3A head.

Thought the worst was over.

I used a copper brush in my drill to clean the threads, put the new plug in
the freezer and applied some gentle propane heat around the hole.

I tried gasket seal on the threads but I think it made a tight situation
worse, creating too much drag.  Got it maybe a quarter of the way down before
the soft aluminum started tearing.  , tested it, and it leaked.  Now have
removed it again.

So, sensing I would bugger one up, I had ordered two of these little plugs.

Somebody on the List mentioned using Lock-Tite on the threads.  That would
make sense, it's a liquid lubricant for the threads until it sets.  But would
it seal well enough to keep water leaking out?  Am wincing rather severely at
the thought of a leaking plug installed with Lock Tite!  Is there a better
alternative?

Has anybody replaced it with a hex bolt, or are the threads too weird?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html