[TR] Rough Running TR4

pbrandsema at triad.rr.com pbrandsema at triad.rr.com
Wed Mar 19 14:09:20 MDT 2014

I need some help in diagnosing the most likely cause of this problem.  My TR4,
which for the most part has been very trouble free, has developed a nasty
rough running, shake, rattle and roll.  Prior to winter settling in, on my
last nice day out, she decided not to idle, lose power.  Note - problem at
idle also. I have new cobalt wires installed, checked the plugs which seem
good by the color, checked and cleaned the carbs.  The front carb piston was
sticking (wouldn't drop) and when I took it apart, found that the diaphragm
was distorted and somewhat non flexible, compared to the rear carb.  Luckily I
had a new spare diaphragm in my box O spares.  After putting everything back
together, the piston dropped normally, so I figured I had the source of the
problem fixed, but no such luck.  Same problem, so does this sound like a fuel
or ignition problem?  I have a pertronix igniter installed (past 10 years)
with no problems there. Could these fail?  I also replaced the rotor last
year.  Then I'm wondering about the fuel supply.  I'm using the stock
mechanical pump.  I'm getting some gas, but how can I tell if I'm getting
enough?  If the pump goes, I'm replacing with a Facet pump, but don't want to
spend unnecessary money.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Brandsema
61 TR4