[TR] Tr4 Leaf springs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 15:58:38 MST 2014

---- Lee&John Howard <leejohn7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to start a rebuild of the rear suspension. I hadn't planned to
> replace the springs as there is no sag or apparent imbalance to the rear
> end. Would  you all agree with that, or should I cough up for new springs
> "just because" they''re 50 years old and have seen 200,00 plus miles.

I have always gone with the former theory; and had several breakages as a result.  I now have a new pair of springs, which I intend to install as soon as I'm done rebuilding a rear axle to go with them.

If you do keep the old ones, I recommend a complete disassembly for cleaning and inspection.  The rust between the leaves tends to lock them together and makes the ride harsher; plus broken leaves don't always show up on casual inspection.  I had no idea this one was broken
http://tinyurl.com/pzc3a5j

> wonder as well if the new are not likely to be of inferior quality to the
> original.

That has been a real problem in the past.  Not just quality, but dimensions seem to frequently be way off.  Several folks have complained of too much arch, causing the rear axle to be forced against the frame even with the car sitting still.

However, the new springs I got from TRF last year appear to be exactly right (ignoring the absence of the factory spacer).  Won't know for sure until I have them installed, but my measurements matched exactly between the unbroken original and the new ones.  The supply of these is apparently somewhat spotty, though, so you may need to check with them.  As I recall, they said their old supplier had quit the business and I had to wait for the first run from a new supplier.

> If I do replace, is there any point to "competition" springs, since I am
> hardly a competitor?

I would say "no".  There are two types available, both those that let the rear suspension ride lower and ones with increased spring rate.  Lowering could be advantageous, but only if you never plan to drive over any speed bumps.  I have my road TR3 lowered by 1/2" or so, and there are some speed bumps that I always drag bottom on, no matter how slowly I go over.  1" lower would be a real problem on the street, IMO.  And the stock spring rate is plenty high enough for the street, IMO.

It's also not that hard to add lowering blocks later, if you decide you do want to experiment with lowering the suspension.  Lots easier than replacing the springs, anyway.

> If I do not replace - and I know this has been covered before, but I can't
> get into the archives just now - what is recommended for lubrication?

Factory recommended used motor oil, applied with a paint brush.  But be careful to keep it away from the bushings.  Should also apply to new springs if you don't add the UHMW.  (With the UHMW, I don't think lubrication is necessary, although it shouldn't hurt the UHMW.)

Randall