[TR] Update: Replacing wiper motor brushes

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat Mar 1 06:40:54 MST 2014

Just a quick update on installing new brushes in my wiper motor..
I received the brushes a couple of days ago. The new brush is rectangular in
shape with 3 or 4 tiny slots in one of the two smaller "ends". Since the brush
is rectangular, only the smaller rectangular "end" will fit in the little
metal "arm" so that narrows down the installation options. The brushes that I
am replacing don't have the "slots". that I can see.
My question is installation orientation..
I am thinking the slots go out towards the commutator..
1. The old brush didn't have a "slotted" surface.
2. I am thinking the "slotted" surface helps seat the brush to the
commutator??

By the way, I lost one of the little black pastic pieces that you hook the
spring into that holds the brushes against the commutator on the armature.
Grrr.. I carved a new one out of a small piece of plastic.. Hope it works.
Anybody have any suggestions on a better way to connect the spring but
electrically isolate from the metal bracket?

Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a