[TR] Fw: TR3 interior (not tr3a)

Brian Thomas thomasb at queensu.ca
Sun Jun 29 06:59:43 MDT 2014

Hi Dave,

Pic's of my '56 TR3 may help.

When I got it in 1975, the car had been off the road for 11 years but
unfortunately stored outside under plastic.  The interior however was still
totally original, albeit with the horsehair mats peeking out of the  seat
cushions in a number of places and the vinyl looking very sad.  I carefully
removed all the interior pieces and stripped them of the existing vinyl.
Then, using the castoffs as a pattern, the pieces were recovered in new vinyl.
The door panel backings were a little warped so I fabricated replacements
using a similar millboard material - the door "pockets" were reused.  The
seats were professionally recovered in black leather with white piping as
original - sides and backs in black vinyl.  TRF supplied wheel well covers and
a wool carpet set.  All hardware is either original or the correct TRF
supplied pieces (for example, screws/cups used to hold most of the vinyl
covered pieces in place).  The formed cardboard gas tank cover in my car was
also original.  Unlike some of the repro's, it did not have the pressed seat
lines in either the board or the vinyl removed - so I replaced the vinyl with
like.

While this work was completed in 1989, everything still looks good.

Let me know what you are interested in.

Cheers,

Brian