[TR] Brake light woes

Brian Induni binduni at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 08:34:18 MDT 2014

Not sure I follow the logic of the Dot 5 fluid - I've used this in at least
a dozen cars I've restored and have never had an issue because of it. I
have, however, learned that the mechanical pressure switch is a finicky
bugger, and have also learned that if I fill the pressure inlet with fluid,
it will push the air out that is trapped in there. Remember, if you have
air in your brake lines, the brakes don't work so well. Same goes for the
switch. You need to "bleed" the air out of it before installing it. I'm not
claiming that the switch works exactly like a mech switch, but pretty
close. If there is enough pressure to engage the brakes, the lights should
come on.

Of course, this is assuming the switch is new, which is an absolute must!

Brian