[TR] Somebody buy this (and stop me from thinking about it)

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 19 21:58:37 MDT 2014

I'm sorry. What "issues"?  Yes, some modifications have been done to the
car, but that doesn't make it worth less. Some modifications make it worth
more. If you're a true-ist and want everything original there's nothing I
could see that wasn't able to be bolted back on. And cheaply.

Most original Triumph owners modified their cars in one way or another
because, admit it or not, our cars had drawbacks that needed fixed. Crappy
seats. Huge steering wheels that broke. No tunes. Detuned engines. No
cupholders. Saggy rear ends. You name it. The number of "original" cars is
extremely limited. Most of the ones I've seen at VTR concours are receptors
of what the suppliers have to offer. Trailer queens.

I drive my car every day to work. 15 miles each way including freeways. I
would really be put off if I had to do that in the showroom car, because
mine was that at one time, and it sucked. So I put in some creature
comforts, Miata seats, better brakes, a tuned engine, a Toyota trans, Nissan
rear end and bigger tires. And, oh yes, a stereo with amp and subwoofer. And
it looks bitchin too! I'll venture to bet that my car, with modifications,
is worth as much if not more than an original.

Questions to ask are: Is the body straight? How do the doors/bonnet/trunk
fit? Is there rust anywhere? Do the keys match? Does the body paint/interior
color/overdrive match the registration tag? Etc.

For $17,000, it's sounds like an eBay thing. Probably more like $12,000 on
the open market, as it seems to be a straight and complete car. The
modifications are up to the owner.

Johnnie

> you will have trouble selling this car due to these flaws.
>
> likely there are other, non original modifications, further devaluing the
car.

> you are better buying a car that the seller acknowledges the issues rather
than
> someone who clearly does not know these cars.  honestly, I would not touch
this
> car.  this guy is just a used car salesman.

---