[TR] Lucas bulbs

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:28:57 MDT 2014

A typical vintage Lucas "driving light" -- say a SLR576, the kind with a
long pencil beam and a plain glass front lens-- will take a 48W BPF
(British Pre Focus) bulb with an axial filament.  The filament is in the
line of travel of the beam.  Lucas bulb number 185 (12V).

A Lucas fog light of the period  -- say a SFT576, the kind with a flat wide
beam and a fluted glass front lens -- will take a bulb with the same
wattage and base, but the filament will be transverse -- crosswise the the
direction of travel of the beam.  Lucas bulb number 323 (12V).

Here's an image to make that clearer (it is kind of confusing).
 Driving/pencil beam on the left, fog on the right.
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-B4jpFST/0/L/i-B4jpFST-L.jpg

People will sometims mix up the bulbs for the lamp style.  They'll still
put out light, of course, but it won't be as well-controlled.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L