[TR] TR3 Coil

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Sun Jul 13 08:45:10 MDT 2014

only if your old system had a 1.5 ohm coil.  this would only be the later
cars, as in TR6 post 74? which used a ballast resistor.  trying to use a 1.5
ohm coil with a pertronix is generally a $100 mistake.  but your car,
assuming it is a TR3 as stated in the title, should not have any of this
stuff, and you should be fine with any 3.0 ohm coil.  its generally a good
idea to test your coil before using it with a pertronix for the above
reason.

any 3.0 ohm coil will do, but you will get better performance with a higher
voltage coil than with an less powerful one.   I should also add that you
can gap your plugs wider with a pertronix and high performance coil than
with a low voltage coil and points/condenser.  I run about .035 vs .025