[TR] Fluids in your car that burns.

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 18 12:57:40 MST 2014

1000 degrees was just the arbitrary standard that was used for the test.
I did a little reading on the subject after we got off to the races with all the opinions from people who only had....an opinion.
I had never really worried about fire with fluids under the hood outside of oil and fuel, but I got onto the SAE site about tested flashpoints and was surprised the flashpoints were so low on some types of antifreeze.
Some of it flashes under 300 degrees at 100%!
As you say, normal af has to be mixed for usefulness, and the cooling effect of the water component keeps it from igniting when mixed 50/50 as one is instructed.
The mixture has to be used in a pressurized system, which causes wear (expansion) of the hoses.  If you develop a leak it squirts.  The advantage of the other type, Evans, is that it boils at a higher temp than the 50/50 mixture and requires zero pressure.  At this zero pressure, the boiling point is higher than a 50/50 mix under pressure.
I once got a cut on the bottom hose on the suburban due to debris during a tow to an event, and it merely dripped!  A bit of electric tape got us back on the road.
The Evans material lasts indefinitely, apparently.
Granted, its not cheap, but fleets have used it for years and longterm, its a money saver.
I've noticed that any small amount of pure water left in the system seems to self bleed as it warms up, steaming away.
"Seems" is the operative word since one would have to test the coolant in situ to find if any water was left.
I've used Evans for five years on vehicles as diverse as my diesel Suburban towmobile, a motorhome, and various British cars.
I've not been disappointed.
And, I've yet to catch fire!
Hmmm.
That could be a 60 Minutes scareshot:  "What Will Burn Under Your Hood, and how to protect your Loved Ones from being roasted alive during your next brake check!.".
:-)

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone