[TR] Off Topic Code Reader

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 07:43:11 MST 2014

Pretty much all of the GM cars and trucks from 1982(ish) to 1995 (non OBD2)
had a similar feature.  On the GM's you can connect pins A & B on the
diagnostic connector and the car will flash trouble codes on the Service
Engine Soon light.  The biggest downfall of this approach is that you only
get the code, not the sensor data.  I recently had to troubleshoot a no
fuel condition on my 88 Chevy pickup and was wishing I had the OBD2 data on
that truck.  The problem was caused by a bad reluctor pickup in the
distributor.  With the data from OBD2 I could have seen that the computer
was reading 0 RPM when cranking and narrowed the problem down to the tach
signal pretty quick.  Without it I had to go through all the electrical
back tracking form the injectors and then start checking sensors until I
found the problem.

As a side note to anyone who has such a GM product, there are also a few
things that you need to use this diagnostic mode for.  In my case I had to
replace the distributor and reset the base timing.  This can be done by
running the engine in diagnostic mode.  I used to have a really nice little
tool that I could plug into the connector to put the truck into diagnostic
mode, but I lost it at some point.  A paper clip works too, but to make
getting into this mode easier whenever I want, I just spliced in a switch
that I can flip whenever I need it.