[TR] TR4 Gearbox

john-marie at sbcglobal.net john-marie at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 25 19:45:47 MST 2014

Hi List,

My 1965 TR4A was not running when purchased, so did not check out gearbox
operation.  Took a look inside today and gears appear to be OK.  However,
can't sort out what I found in the gearbox with the books.  Books show a
couple of balls and springs, and a "reverse plunger" and spring on the shafts.
Unless I a missing something, and there is a good chance I am, this is not
what my unit looks like.  Can't find any springs or balls, but there is a
cylindrical hole in the top cover with a sleeve that appears to be sheared off
even with a recess in the top cover where the reverse plunger is shown.  I
would appreciate hearing from anyone that can tell me what I should be looking
at.
I was hoping to just flush it out, change seals, fill with fresh oil and
install.  Now I am not sure of what I have.  Thanks.

Thanks.

John DeLuca

Sent from my iPad