[TR] tr-6 woes..........use of professionals

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 20:35:47 MST 2014

Through my experiences restoring a tr-3 I've found that often "expert" shops
or vendors aren't necessarily the best places to have work done.  Many are and
are priceless when expert help is needed.
However I've found that for our
Triumphs that most any mechanic over the age of 40 or 50 is able to trouble
shoot and fix anything on our cars.  They were trained at a time when cars
were simple.  I've had local craftsmen do machining, sewing, painting and
trouble shooting that knew nothing about "british" cars as such.  They simply
knew how to solve problems due to they're education and experience.
We are
often fooled into paying EXTREME premiums in money for relatively simple jobs
just because vendors market them selves as "triumph" or some other "experts"
in a task.

ie. have had a local amishman sew up my side curtains for 10
bucks. (he was also doing nice leather saddle bags for a Harley)   Had a local
machinist lighten my flywheel for 35.  Look around and you'll find them.
probably more likely in a rural area.

gary n.