[TR] question about hub stud installation

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 16:01:35 MDT 2014

---- Pete Ryner <pryner at verizon.net> wrote:
> I had to replace two rear hub studs on my '56 TR3.  It looked like they were
> pressed in but I found that they are screwed in then peened over on the back
> of the hub.  I don't think I will be able to peen the new studs with simple
> shop tools.  Any suggestions or alternative methods?  I was thinking about
> high strength locktite??

Loctite certainly won't hurt.  But you should also be able to peen them over with a punch and BFH.  I forget the term for the type of punch, but the angle at the tip is less sharp than a center punch.  Make a circle of dimples around the outside edge of the stud, just inside the threads.

You used to be able to buy fully threaded studs that would screw in from the back; but I couldn't find them last time I looked.  Moroso doesn't make the old part number any more.

Randall