[TR] TR3 distributor / vacuum unit`

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:41:14 MDT 2014

Andrew -

I expect the difference is the vacuum advance specs as expressed by three
numbers: 4-11-7 in the case of the 40480A and 40698 units.

Those numbers are typically stamped on the vacuum unit.

The first number is the vacuum where advance begins (in inches of mercury),
the second number is the vacuum where advance maxes out and the third
number is the maximum advance in crank degrees.

You're probably familiar with this page, but in case you're not - here is a
pretty comprehensive list of Lucas distributors with applications and
vacuum advance numbers:  http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucas.pdf

Geo