[TR] Getting my Moss Supercharger to Run Correctly on My TR6

Dave Murphy roadwarriordave at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:27:12 MDT 2014

Would anyone who has the Eaton M62 supercharger with 2 barrel Holly carb that
Moss sells please let me know what they did to get their car to run properly
and still produce more power than stock.
I put one of these on my '76 TR6 in 2008 and at stock timing settings with the
as-supplied standard jets in the carb, the car would make extra power above
2800 rpm, but it would not run smoothly below 2200 rpm, and unless I was
extremely slow in applying throttle when taking off from rest, it backfired
scratchy soot back through the supercharger that usually took a few minutes to
clear. There was not one day in the previous 6 years that I was able to drive
it without backfiring at least once, until we retarded the timing and put jets
4 sizes richer in place. Now driveability is great - starts great, runs well
at low revs, but there's a lot of black smoke out the exhaust, the oil gets
dirty quicker and I doubt it produces any more that stock horsepower. And it
won't go above 4000 rpm without bucking.
-Dave Murphy
Dearborn MI