[TR] TR4A overdrive transmission

Creig Houghtaling creig555 at live.com
Sun Aug 24 06:35:00 MDT 2014

I am restoring a TR4A.  Before I put the OD 4-speed transmission back in the
car, I thought I would check it out for functionality.  I put a 1/2" drill
driver on the input shaft and turned it.  Engaged each gear and saw
different RPM and reverse out the back without any scary noises.  So the
transmission seems OK.  I put 12 volts through the solenoid circuit and saw
the solenoid move the arm at the appropriate second, third, and 4 gear
positions.  But when I spun the input of the trans, I didn't observe any
change in the output of the drive shaft when the solenoid was engaged or
disengaged.  Just as I sat down to write this note I figured out that I need
to check the oil level.  Perhaps even drain and replace the oil.  I haven't
looked at my book yet for recommended oil.  90 weight?

Is there anything else I can check or do prior to installing other than
getting someone to rebuild it?  (Presuming some addition of oil gets the OD
to engage.)

Creig
Creig Houghtlaing 314-401-7817
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association