[TR] Spin on Oil Filter Leak

James Henningsen trguy75 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:32:33 MDT 2014

The old original motor (80k miles and tired) is back in the TR6 and purring
like a kitten.  I am amazed after 11 years in a box with regular oil squirts
and turning the crank that the motor started up.  Ok, there is a bit of
smoke but better smoke out the exhaust than engine bits.  My starting issue
was due to a bad starter relay.  Forgot that I had Dan Masters book and it
was a great help in diagnosing a non-functioning starter.    It has been a
joy (I think) of re-learning how to identify top dead center on the
compression stroke and getting the firing order correct with the plug wires
and dizzy.  After 11 years there was no gap when I checked the valve
clearance, so rest all of those.

Here is my question.  I have a spin on oil filter unit and put in a new
rubber seal before mounting to block.  I am getting a pretty good leak
between the block and adapter seal.  I tightened a bit more but still
leaking.  Is there a trick to getting this unit to not leak.  I had it on my
previous motor without a leak.  Do I need some sealant?

One step closer to getting the car to VTR!

Jim Henningsen

Ocala FL

62 TR4 x2

75 TR6