[TR] Speedi-Sleeve for TR3

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Fri Aug 15 13:22:51 MDT 2014

     I rebuilt my TR3 engine with a new used crank. I polished up the area of
the crank where the front seal goes using a very fine sandpaper and
wet-sanding it with oil lubricant. Probably a mistake because 1000 miles later
it is puking oil out the front seal. I am thinking about trying a
Speedi-Sleeve as sold by Moss and TRF.
     I also installed a crankcase
evacuation system. I got the idea from Kas Kastner's book. I have only driven
it once since installing the system. It appears to be working, just not at the
front seal...
     I have a few questions:

1. Can it be installed with the
crank still in the engine but the timing cover off? Or do you have to pull the
crank?

2. Would it be possible to install without pulling the bumpers, grill,
front panel, radiator, cross member and everything else that we have to do to
get at the front of the engine? Probably just a pipedream, but one never
knows. Maybe it is possible.

3. Do they work well and are they worth the
trouble?

4. Has anyone else used one of these recently?

     TIA,

     Bill
Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA