[TR] TR4A Sputtering

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Thu Aug 14 16:01:18 MDT 2014

Brian,

Had the same issue with my TR4A a while back.

For reasons that will be apparent later, I need to state that I have an
electric cooling fan which I rarely turn on.
I use it only at stops, or slow driving.

After close to an hour of highway driving, the car would act like it was being
starved of fuel.

I checked everything out (carbs, floats, spark, etc.) and everything looked
OK.
Plus, the problem would go away after I stopped for a little while.

One day, for an unrelated issue, I installed one of those shiny heat shields
for the carbs, and the problem went away!
My theory is that running for long periods without the cooling fan on was
causing enough trapped heat around the carbs to create a running condition
akin to vapor lock.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/guy@genfiniti.com