[TR] Post motor rebuild re-torque

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 15:45:16 MDT 2014

>What is the correct re-torquing method - back off the nut and re-tighten
>to spec or just tighten to spec?

Just to add to what others have said, I've finally found that the Head nuts that are outside the valve cover are dry as a bone, while those inside are nicely oiled.  Backing off the "outside" nuts, then retorquing always finished with a screeching sound (I think Randal had a name for it).  This last time, I oiled the studs outside so that they would be equally oiled as the studs inside and so they would torque evenly.  Probably unnecessary, but I seemed to feel like I got a more accurate torquing of the normally "dry" outside studs.

Terry Smith, 1959 TR3A
New Hampshire