[TR] More OD (electrical?) Woes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 09:35:17 MDT 2014

>      So I have the trans tunnel off of the TR3A. When you
> throw the OD switch,
> nothing happens. I put a test light at the bullet connector
> to the solenoid
> and get a light.

Was that with the solenoid still connected?

>      I tried a battery charger on the solenoid on the workbench and
> it seemed to actuate well.
>      I tried the battery charger test on the
> solenoid installed in the car and it didn't move.

Sounds like a classic case of the pull-in coil not working.  The holding coil will move the plunger, as long as it isn't connected
to anything.

>      The circuit to the
> solenoid has a fuse that blew somewhere in my testing. I
> changed out the 20
> amp fuse.

However, that sounds like the opposite problem; the solenoid wasn't able to move for some mechanical reason and the pull-in coil
blew the fuse.  Have you checked that it moves by hand when installed?

>  The car has had a dead battery several times in the last
> month. Coincidence?

Most likely; but I suppose it could indicate a relay problem.  I'd tackle the OD problem first though, then check for leaks once
that it solved.

>      Any ideas?

Now that you've got your DMM going, check the voltage right at the solenoid, with the solenoid still connected.  Press on the
'adjustment' lever on the opposite side, to make sure the solenoid can move.  If it has 12v applied and doesn't move (but can move),
then the solenoid is bad even if it was good before.

Randall