[TR] Spare Tire Options

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 06:57:49 MDT 2014

> As for using a different size for the spare. This I find as a
> definite no for using on the rear as the differential will
> overheat in the long term

The point being that a compact spare tire is only for short term use.  And with speeds limited to 45 mph or so (per the markings on
the tire), having the speedometer read a bit high should not be too much of a disadvantage.  Yes, the differential will get rather
more exercise than it usually gets while cruising in a straight line, but certainly nothing close to what it gets going around a
track at full throttle.

As it happens, that differential had already gone well over 100,000 miles while I owned the car, and went another 100,000 or so
after that incident.  It was still working fine when the car got totaled.  In fact, I kind of wish I hadn't sold it, as the diff in
my 'new' TR3 hasn't done nearly so well.
http://tinyurl.com/kuzr95l

Randall