[TR] Collector Car Values

Steve Smith dogzbody1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 12:01:04 MDT 2014

MGAs, a contemporary of and far prettier than the Healey which never got the
grill quite right IMO and way more chuckable.

On Saturday, April 26, 2014
11:45 AM, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net> wrote:

     I follow
collector car values and dream of finding the next big thing. In
the distant
past I looked at driving XKE roadsters for under $3K, mint 356
Porsches for
$4K, a clean 911T for $2200, an Aston DB6 for under $10K and a
Maserati 3500
Touring for $6,000. Lots of cars seem to have exceeded their
useful values and
are just languishing in the hands of dealers, speculators
and flippers. No
sense in even looking at early 911's or 356 Porsche's
anymore. Same with Jag
XK's or early Aston DB's or V8's. Our TR's seem to have
headed up quite a bit
recently, but I think they are still bargains.
     Some
recent cars that seem
to have shot up include Porsche 912's, Ferrari 308's and
Lotus Elises. About 5
years ago $10K would have bought the best 912, $25K for
a great 308 and low
20's for a good Elise. No more. In 2007 I looked at a red
1988 Lotus Turbo
Esprit with low miles for $9,300. No more like that again
says I.
     I have
always thought the TR8's would shoot up, but it has proven
not to be. Same
with Porsche 914's, Jensen Healeys and Triumph Stags, although
Stags appear to
be creeping up as time goes on. I have a friend that just
bought a really
clean Jensen Healey for $4400. Amazing.
     Are there any
deals out there?
Here is a list of some cars I think are still comparative
bargains. I would
enjoy knowing what other listers notice.

     1. Ferrari
Testarossas - I see
them for sale as low as $40K in SoCal. The kids that had
posters of them on
their walls in the 90's will want them in the future.

2. Gen 1 Mazda RX7's
- I see mint low mile examples for 4 and 5K.

     3.
MGBGT's.

     4.
Midgets - lots of cheap ones at bargain prices.

     5.
GT6's.

     6.
Lagonda - I was tempted by a 50's Lagonda that was listed for
$19,900. Aston
powered.

     7. Jag Marks VII through X, Mk II's, 3.8S - Lots
of good ones
for around 20K.

     8. Porsche 914's

     9. Post 2002 Jag
XK8's

     10.
Porsche 944 Turbo's and 944S.

     11. Alfa Romeo 2600
Touring - I was
watching a good driver for $19,900. Straight 6 DOHC powered
with 5 speed. Some
flipper/dealers want a small fortune for theirs.

     12.
Alfa Romeo 2000
Spiders - I recently help a friend pick up an 80,000 mile 1989
Alfa for $7000
that looked and drove like brand new.

     Any others?

Bill Brewer - in