[TR] TR6 differential noise

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sat Sep 21 12:03:25 MDT 2013

On 9/21/2013 6:03 AM, Chris Simo wrote:
> I've posted a Video from Bob here:   http://youtu.be/ybkxG883tbo

That certainly doesn't sound like a bearing to me--a bearing should be
grumbly and growly when going bad. The knocking sounds like a u-joint,
either going bad or operating at too extreme an angle. Since the car is
on jackstands, it may be that the rear suspension droop is enough to
bind the joint a little, or the splines in the halfshafts are extended
enough to cause a little sticking and binding.  Either condition could
be caused, on jackstands, by rear bushings that are getting a bit
sloppy, and/or worn diff mounts, so that the diff assembly is being
jacked around by torque.

But, no, it definitely does not sound like bearings. Even a broken crown
wheel tooth would be a lot more regular than that. The intermittent
nature of the noise suggests to me something bouncing up and down
irregularly, relieving stress in one direction and increasing it in the
opposite direction.  If you're _sure_ the u-joints are good (a bad
joint, with the needle bearings gone, can lock pretty firmly in one
position and not seem loose when checked by hand, but will still make
lots of noise under changing loads), I'd be looking at the fit of the
halfshaft pieces.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....