[TR] brake lines

ADRIAN DIX-DYER dixie4.wales at virgin.net
Tue Sep 17 17:30:44 MDT 2013

I may be a little late with my contribution. But here goes:

Here in the UK we are still able to use copper brake piping which I believe
is illegal in the US.
I personally agree with the US stance on this subject, it is just too soft
and will corrode easily. As an MOT (UK annual roadworthy test) tester I
have seen many crushed pipes and very green corroded ones.

I always use the cupro nickle tube, branded Kunifer in UK, and always make
up my own using a Snap-On flaring kit and a mini pipe bender. It is the
only way I know of getting the fit and look just right.

As for stainless steel piping I think this is overkill and as an aside too
hard to flare with most kits available.

Or are you reffering to the use of stainless flexi hoses? these are a good
idea as they help prevent a spongy pedal and are very durable. But they
stand out like a sore thumb and are hardly original, not for me
unfortunately.

I often wonder why all car manufacturers never fitted cuporo nickle brake
pipes instead of steel when the car was new. It would save a lot of
dangerous cars on the road a few years down the line.

Adrian
TR4A CT 64306 O
Wales UK