[TR] TR6 Electrical Issues

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Sep 13 11:32:59 MDT 2013

That little round thing with the two wires going to it is the Anti-Run-On
valve.  It works in concert with the three prong oil pressure switch and a
special contact on the keyswitch to energize when shutting down.  It applies
manifold vacuum to the charcoal canisters and hence to the top side of the
float chambers in the carburetors to starve the engine of gasoline to prevent
run-on.  It should not be clicking in the situation you describe.  Since you
have had problems with the keyswitch I would look there first.  If this
stays energized all the time the engine will start but will not continue to run
very well.  But it will not prevent it from starting.

If your battery is fully charged but cranks slowly there are a couple
things to check.  Check the battery ground connection.  On the TR6 the negative
cable has two tabs, one of which attached to the body at the firewall and the
other attaches to the engine/bell housing flange.  Make sure that
connection is solid.  Also check the positive cable connections at both ends.

If you engage the starter with the lights on do they dim?  If they dim then
you may need a new starter.  If they do not it could be the solenoid.

The next step is to dust off the multimeter.  Measure the voltage between
the engine block and battery negative when cranking.  It should not exceed .5
volts.  Measure the voltage from the starter stud and the battery positive
post.  It should not exceed .5 volts.  Knowing this will help narrow down
the search.

Good luck.

Dave