[TR] TR3/4 tappets

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 08:12:48 MDT 2013

On 9/12/13 7:00 AM, Jonas Payne wrote:
> There had been a series of failed tappet/cam issues with new lifters.  Many
> of the new lifters failed to meet the Rockwell hardness test of the ones
> coming out.
>
> The whole ZDDP /Flat Tappet issue happened at the same time.  Ultimately, I
> believe it had more to do with the break in lube/oil than the hardness of
> the Tappets, as everybody in the hobby was having the same issue - not just
> the TR guys.
Well, I still returned a bunch of brand new soft tappets that didn't
come close to spec.  The factory tappets were over 50 hardness.

And about 2 years ago I had to replace the cam in my TR3 because of wear
and pitting on both the cam & lifters.  I had been running Castrol with
no additives.  Since then I only use oil labeled for use with flat
tappet engines.  All my new tappets tested to 54 or higher.

TeriAnn