[TR] TR6 Cylinder Head

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 05:37:42 MDT 2013

An interesting fact emerged many years ago from factory test papers on the
'breathing' properties of the six cylinder head. On the non-US TR's, as well
as the 2000 and 2500 saloons (with or without fuel injection) further
development took place on the gas-flowing and valve diameters. The outcome -
found on cylinder heads stamped 219015* and 219016* - was that reducing the
exhaust valve diameter from 32mm to 30mm gave greatly improved breathing. The
revised inlet tracts also created better air/fuel mix and vastly improved
'quench' to the extent that many on this side of the pond have been using this
head in preference to earlier versions. I've got a sneaky feeling that while
the two heads weren't fitted to TR's they did appear on US GT6. I've got all
the data I could scrounge on a spreadsheet if anyone's interested.

Jonmac
NB * You'll find these numbers stamped (NOT cast) on a flat plinth under the
valve gear between cylinders 2 and 3.