[TR] Aluminum radiators

William Pugh anabil007 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 27 16:47:01 MDT 2013

Thatbs weird,
	I have a Ron Davis aluminum radiator on Casper (1957 TR3 for about 10 years
now with no problems and no overheating b& hmmm  Guess I am just lucky.

On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx at bright.net> wrote:

> Hi List. With all the talk about aluminum radiators, one issue was missed.
With the exception of TR7 & TR8, all the cars from Spit through TR6 have a
radiator that is a "solid" mount. Aluminum, by nature, can not stand any
twisting, flexing or "racking".  All these cars are body/frame construction.
Frames twist and flex and since radiator is hard mounted, so does the
radiator.  Another, and we feel better, choice is a modern re-core. Our
radiator shop use a MaxCool core. Large diameter, oval shaped fins with lots
of surface for heat dissipation. Ted

> On 10/23/2013 8:58 PM, David Ljung Madison wrote:
>> My TR3A is finally coming back together.  I have it at Greg Solow's
>> Engine Room in Santa Cruz (I believe he did TeriAnn's Triumph).
>>
>> They are saying that the radiator doesn't have lots of flow and
>> are recommending switching to an aluminum radiator.  Somewhere
>> in storage I have a stock radiator in good shape that has the crank
>> hole (my current one doesn't).  I checked on ebay and the
>> prices of aluminum radiators vary massively - from $250 to $700.
>> Greg can get one that is good quality for ~$700.
>>
>> So my options:
>>
>> 1) Use the current radiator, and don't go on the race track
>> 2) Use the storage radiator so I have the starter crank hole again,
>>    which is amusing and can come in handy.
>> 3) Buy the $250 aluminum on ebay
>> 4) Buy the $700 aluminum via Greg
>>
>> I know that if I use the radiator with the starter hole that
>> I lose something like 5% of my cooling, though the radiator
>> is probably cleaner than the original, so it's probably about
>> the same.
>>

>> Does anyone kynow how to tell the difference between the
>> radiators on ebay?  Anyone buy one of these $250 aluminum radiators?
>>
>> And any thoughts on the difference between aluminum and stock?
>>

> --

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"

Bill Pugh
1957 TR3 "Casper"p;
TS16765L
Wallace, CA