[TR] De-Rusting TR3 Block

Randall Zempel rzempel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:42:01 MDT 2013

  Bill wrote: I was thinking of rigging up an electrolytic rust removal
system using a battery charger, blocking off the bottom of the
cylinder/piston
area to contain the water just in the block and totally de-rust the water
jacket area of the block.

Bill,
I've electrolytically de-rusted milling machine parts, and I don't expect
your method to work very well.  The electro field needs to be pretty direct
between anode and cathode, without any shielding in between.  I suspect the
various contours of the engine block will cause exactly that shielding,
leading to lots of areas with no appreciable de-scaling.

I recommend, instead, find a steel tub big enough to submerge the block.
Use a big propane burner ring to heat an alkali solution to near boiling,
and let that do your work.  Of course, it's probably easier and less
expensive to haul it to a professional shop to boil the block.... :-)

Randall Z