[TR] Car trouble in Hannibal, Mo

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Sun Oct 20 19:00:33 MDT 2013

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the suggestions.  We ended up renting a truck and trailer to
get the car home.

A few more details that I did not include in the first email as I was
using a tablet and it was not working well.

Car has a Pertronix on it (couple of years old).  Would it fail this way
or just quit?

Alternator seems to be good.  Ammeter is indicating charging when I
would expect it it and a drain basically only when starting.

I am pretty sure the pump we used did not have diesel and I know I
pressed the 91 octane button, so I don't think that is the problem.

The last couple of times it died on a test drive this morning, I pulled
over to the side, and the car started back up immediately and could
drive another mile.  So, it was off for less than a minute. My thinking
is that would not be long enough for the coil to cool down.  But this
makes it very hard to check spark or gas problems because by the time I
could open the hood, it would be willing to run again. Seems to idle fine.

The car doesn't sputter.  It just seems to run out of steam and dies.  I
have to keep pressing the pedal more and the car keeps slowing down
until it dies.

I checked the other diaphragm this morning.   It was fine.

The car does run rich, but it has for a long time and it does not seem
to richer now than in the past based on fuel consumption.

I guess I am leaning towards the fuel pump, the coil, one of the hoses I
did not replace, or the floats getting stuck.

Thaks everyone.
Roger