[TR] Gas smell

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:03:02 MDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Benjamin Zwissler <bjzwissler at gmail.com>wrote:

> Agree.  If you park a car in a garage that has an open fuel system after
> its well warmed up you will get a strong gas odor.

I park 3 British cars in my garage every day, all have SU &/or ZS carbs and
vented tanks yet I get no gas smell.

If I were to smell gas I would be looking for a leak.

A slow fuel leak can create a big smell w/o showing much in the way of fuel
spillage as the fuel may evaporate before presenting any drip or visible
accumulation.

One way to search for a leak is to wipe about with a brown or blue gas
station paper towel -- even a very small amount of fuel will show up as a
dark spot on those towels.  Wipe around the usual suspects -- carbs, fuel
pump, fuel line to hard line connections, etc.).

Geo