[TR] Info. on Towing a Spitfire

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 08:14:31 MST 2013

> I got no reports of anyone having an actual problem with a
> transmission not being lubricated when flat towing. But maybe I just
> haven't heard from those folks.

Not a Spitfire, and I'm not certain how far it was towed with the rear wheels on the ground.  But I have the remains of a TR3
transmission that was apparently ruined by flat towing.  The mainshaft was blue where it engages with the bearing to the input shaft
(which I now use as a clutch alignment tool), and scored from running in the dry bushings.

Even with Russian Roulette, you've got a 5 out of 6 chance.
Randall