[TR] Car trouble in Hannibal, Mo

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Mon Nov 4 17:32:08 MST 2013

Hi All,

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on what could be wrong
and to give an update as to the actual cause.

But first a couple of things I tried.  Tried popping open the gas cap -
no help.  Checked the wire on the Pertronix plate, I could not get it to
indicate it was broken.  Replaced more of the gas lines.

Then I took off the top of the fuel pump, thinking I would check the
screen in it.  There was no screen.  But then I noticed the problem.

drum roll.

Only one of the valves was in place.  The other one was laying down on
top of the fuel pump.    So, I took the pump off, took it apart and
tapped the valve back in place and then staked it.  Put the pump back on
and took it for a drive.  It ran fine.

I think the only reason, the car was restarting is that the tank was
full and providing some pressure to help fill the carbs.

The valve must have finally fallen out at the time we were getting gas.

Roger Elliott