[TR] rear leaf springs

Carl Sereda carlsereda at aol.com
Tue May 28 13:43:50 MDT 2013

Just my experience.. noticed broken 'main leaf' on my TR4 rear driver-side
spring when looking for a funny noise around 1984...
Removed both passenger and driver side rear springs and brought to a local
company called "US Spring" (in Calif.) that still repairs
a lot of passenger and truck springs each year.

They simply disassembled the one with broken leaf and crafted a new leaf and
then reassembled. When I jump up and down on the uninstalled springs, the
driver one is a little stiffer .. which is how factory made them in later TR
production (maybe starting around TR3A).
The rebuilt spring looked great to me and I was able to put about 5 years
driving on it before removing them for my ground up restoration.
I will be installing them again, although I may do the 'teflon sheets between
leaves' trick, which I've heard enhances flexing.
Good luck,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

What is the collective wisdom on re-using leaf springs ?
I am restoring a
TR3 which I acquired disassembled with springs which look
like they were
cleaned and repainted.  I have heard everything from "always
replace" to
"stand on them and if they don't hit the ground, you're OK" !
Andrew Uprichard