[TR] Rough running engine

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:02:42 MDT 2013

On 5/15/13 12:08 PM, Cosmo Kramer wrote:
> My car is running rough, & I've all ready
> replaced the Battery (over 10Yr. old), & the coil with another that helped the
> car run better It's not new & I don't know how good it is because I was told
> that there is NO WAY it can be bench tested. Is this a true statement?

Malarkey!

There are automotive volt meters that measure the output of a coil. You
place a connector between the coil centre and the coil centre wire and
connect the meter's ground connection to ground.  Fire up the engine and
it will tell you the voltage generated by your coil. Mind you worn
points, incorrectly adjusted points a tired condenser and bade centre
spark plug wire can cause a low voltage output at the coil.

Assuming your battery is fully charged you can get a rough idea with a
simple spark test between the centre wire and ground (engine off,
ignition on).

TeriAnn