[TR] Rough runnig engine #2

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Wed May 15 14:41:58 MDT 2013

When a condenser is going out the engine will start the odd miss which
will become more frequent then to the point where it is missing enough
that the vehicle will hardly idle.

If points short or open up (I've never seen this on a vehicle with
functioning points)  the engine will immediately die.

If points slip the engine will have less power and stumble all over
itself whenever you try to apply power.  It might start & idle OK but
the engine stumbles if you try to apply power. Currently available
points are nowhere as good as they used to be.  Check for pitting &
buildup on the point surfaces. Resurface with a jewelers flat file if
needed. Reset the point gap.  Most of the time the point gap has
slipped.  Frozen mechanical advance or bad vacuum advance can act like
slipped points so be sure to check them as well.

While you have the cap off be sure to look for carbon tracking on the
inside of the cap and for deep pitting. Make sure the centre contact is
making contact with the rotor.  Sometimes the rotor can be sanded at the
contact areas to get off carbon buildup.

TeriAnn