[TR] 'J' type from TR6

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon May 13 09:14:46 MDT 2013

I have not but I think it is just about impossible* since there is not
enough clearance behind the transmission to slide the OD unit off of the main
shaft.  Reinstalling would be an exercise in frustration as well.  Keeping the
splines on the sun gear and the sprag clutch aligned is tough enough when
you do it right.

BTW, doing it right means securing the OD vertically with the output flange
down and sliding the transmission and main shaft into the OD.  Trying to do
it the other way will result in the clutch carrier dropping causing the
afore mentioned splines which you just spent several minutes aligning to fall
out of alignment.

Dave

*I said just about impossible because if I said it was impossible someone
would cut out the driveshaft tunnel and handbrake mount just to prove me
wrong.  There are ways to do just about anything but sometimes it is just easier
to pull the transmission.