[TR] Small Mouth Brake Caliper

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 9 17:58:59 MDT 2013

---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard at uprichard.net> wrote:
> The early cars have an external pipe from one side to the other.  But can
> the later calipers not be used on the earlier cars?

The slightly later ones will fit without modification (unless you are a restoration purist).  But AFAIK they aren't available new either and some of the small parts are different (pad retaining plates & springs).

Starting shortly after the beginning of TR4 production (including some TR3B) the calipers changed again, and those later calipers can only be used if you also use the mounting bracket and brake rotor from a later car.

But rebuildable cores for the early calipers should be easy to come by, as are new pistons and seals.  TRF offers a rebuilding service if you don't care to do them yourself.

If you can't find any cores, email me off-list.

Randall