[TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 7 15:02:31 MDT 2013

---- Frank Fisher <yellowtr3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> yes maybe
> i recall the original lasted the longest. but it was 50 years old so
> i cant blame anything buy maybe time for that failure!

FWIW, I had much the same experience.  The original switch on my TR3A lasted for several years after switching to DOT 5 (long enough that I did not associate it's failure with the DOT 5).  Several replacements from different sources (including a switch from a Ford pickup truck sourced through FLAPS) all failed within a year.  I thought at the time that the failures might be related to the higher power bulbs I use for taillights.  I finally solved the problem on the 3A by mounting a mechanical switch on the pedal box, which was still working fine when the car got wrecked about 5 years later.

Likewise, the original switch in the current TR3 was still working fine when it came to me; and failed within a few months after converting to DOT 5.  I wanted something a bit more stealthy this time, so I made a bracket to mount the switch inside the cabin, against the pedal arm.
http://goo.gl/LbhNv

Not the neatest of jobs, but it is practically invisible unless you crawl under the dash and has worked great since 2009.

BTW, the hydraulic switches all failed somewhat gradually.  There was a period where they would only make contact with very firm pressure on the pedal.

Randall