[TR] gauges- wiggling and bouncing

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:47:17 MDT 2013

Two of the gauges on my 63 TR4 are acting up.

The first is the oil pressure gauge which is the mechanical type.  The
readings seem to be accurate but the needle quivers or vibrates like crazy.
 It seems to do it at all pressures.  I don't know that I've ever seen a
mechanical oil pressure gauge do this.  Any thoughts?

The second problem is the speedometer.  The needle fluctuates about 1 to 4
mph while driving. I'm certain it's the speedometer cable.  The cable is
brand new and is a two piece cable with a speed sensor inline for the
cruise control.  I didn't lubricate the cable before installation assuming
since it was new it shouldn't need anything.  When I say new, I had it
custom made by a speedometer shop in Denver.  A short 8" section from the
transmission to the speed sensor and then a longer one from the sensor to
the gauge.  There are no sharp bends in the cable and  to the best of my
knowledge it follows the same routing as the original.

The cable is providing to much speed variation for the cruise control to
work properly.

Assuming it needs lubricating, what's the best lubricant for the
speedometer cable?

Thanks,

Brad
1963 TR4