[TR] Explain This Overheating

William Pugh anabil007 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 13 12:15:51 MDT 2013

On a segment of Wheeler Dealers they worked on a TR6, used a Waterless
Coolant. Evans NPG+C, said it would never boil, and last forever, I found it
on Amazon, but it is VERY EXPENSIVE.	I wonder if anyone else has used it.

On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Dave1massey at cs.com wrote:

> Check your radiator cap.  I had an overheating problem in one of my cars
> but only at altitude (6,000 ft and higher).  The cap was not holding
pressure
> and I would get boil over even when the car was just at normal operating
> temperatures.
>
> A new cap solved the problem.
>
> Dave
>
> In a message dated 3/13/2013 12:19:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
> wsb1960tr3a at att.net writes:
>>     So I've begun driving the TR3 to work again. It has been in the 80's
>> during the day in Mojave. It is pretty brisk at 0600 at the mile high
>> elevation that I live at.
>>     The temperature gauge in the TR3 has lost the
>> ether and is getting sent in to be rebuilt asap.
>>     So yesterday I am
>> driving home. The TR runs like a freight train. I coasted down about 1/2
>> mile
>> and downhill and stopped outside my garage. While the garage door is
>> opening
>> the car overheats and steam comes out.
>>     I topped off the coolant. Later
>> that evening I let my daughter drive the TR with me in the car with her.
>> We
>> are tooling around the hills at low speeds, under 35 mph. We coast down
>> about
>> a mile of downhill and stop at a stop sign. I begin smelling hot coolant
>> again. It is like it is taunting me.
>>     My radiator was rebuilt about 12
>> years ago without a crank hole.
>>     I have blocked off the water pump bypass
>> with a brass plug with a 1/8" hole drilled in it to prevent vacuum lock.
>>
>> I have an electric fan (puller, not pusher) that comes on at about 190.
>>
>> Tonight I am going to use a Prestone radiator flush and refill with fresh
>> coolant and distilled water 50/50 mix.
>>     With the coolant out I am going to
>> pour water in the top to see how fast it sloshes out the bottom hose hole
>> see if the radiator appears blocked..
>>
>>     I only use distilled water and
>> coolant in my radiator.
>>     Last year I put on a new Moss radiator cap and a
>> new 185 thermostat and put on all new hoses.
>>     My question is, why does it
>> overheat after a long downhill? I could see it overheating after a long
>> uphill.
>>     Gotta get the temp gauge fixed. I meant to do it when the cold
>> weather arrived.

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"

Bill Pugh
1957 TR3 "Casper"p;
TS16765L
Wallace, CA