[TR] When to rebuild

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Mon Mar 11 07:49:03 MDT 2013

I wonder if some industries were ahead of others when it came to engineering
and providing long-term value and reliability. When the John Deere model A
and B row crop tractors were introduced in 1934 and '35 respectively, both
were equipped with pressure lube systems with an easily adjustable relief
valve and a full-flow filter. The early filters were of a cleanable, metal
edge design made by Purolator. Later in the decade, paper elements were the
standard issue and an update kit allowed you to convert an older machine to
the newer style paper elements. That update kit is still available from
Deere, but for $220. The paper element, AR26350, lists for about $6.50 and
was used on tractors up through the very early seventies. Nearly 40 years
without a change of part numbers - that made it easy on the farm that
stocked filters for their tractors!

Positive crankcase ventilation was also part of those 1930's machines. A
tube carried crankcase blow-by to the air cleaner inlet Later, in 1947, a
roller pump driven by the fan shaft was added to increase the efficiency of
the PCV system. It's always fascinating looking at old machine design. If
any of you have a "Popular Mechanics" or similar magazine from the 30's,
40's or even 50's, take a look at the number of ads for replacement piston
rings, bearings and valves. You will see references such as "at your next
regular valve grind" or "at the next bearing roll-in." What a difference
from today.

Thanks for the chance to reminisce.

Alex Thomson