[TR] When to rebuild

Dave Massey dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Mar 9 06:13:59 MST 2013

Have you checked the surface of the crankshaft where the seal rides?  Odds are
it has been worn by the old seal.  You can't expect the new seal to seal up
against a rough surface.  And, it seems, the folks who turn crankshafts often
neglect to dress that surface.

I replaced the seals in my TR6 diff but the pinion seal continued to leak
anyway.  After a couple of years (and a failed U-joint) I dropped the diff and
took the opportunity to install a Speedi-sleeve on the pinion flange.  This
provided a fresh, smooth surface for the seal.  Lo and behold the leak
stopped!

The moral of the story is there are two parts to the sealing issue, the seal
and the surface the seal contacts.  Both are important.

Dave Massey